Tuesday 26 January 2016

Jaywalking...

No it's not a post about jay walking in America, this is about my bird of the day.

It was very difficult to get a clear picture of the Jay in the Queenswood woodland as it kept moving about just as I was about to take a picture. I apologise for the blurriness, it may be a case of Where's Jay, rather than Where's Wally? (Waldo for our American readers). I was disappointed as I'd just set up the perfect shot and then a loud bang from a nearby skip frightened it, so it flew away.



The Jay or as it's Latin name: Garrulus glandarius, is a member of the Crow (Corvidae) family. They are the most colourful of the Crow family but are rather shy and prefer to be hidden in the woodland. They are normally spotted when flying from tree to tree in search of food as they emit a screeching call. It can be found across the United Kingdom and in pretty much any woodland, park, and mature garden, and has a penchant for acorns. They also eat nuts, seeds and insects, but they do also have a liking for the nestlings of other birds and small mammals.

I used some of this information from the RSPB website as I'm afraid I don't really know much about birds, but hey, now I do :)
Just so you know, should you wish to take part, it's the Big Garden Birdwatch on the 30-31st January. Go to the RSPB website for your information pack. The birdwatch is all about spending an hour watching your garden and spotting the birds that visit. This means you'll be taking part in the world's largest wildlife survey. It's definitely worth taking part. www.rspb.org.uk

#wildlife #conservation #birds

(Picture taken by myself on 25th January 2016)

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog Louise. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete